Bobek (8 years old) and Mojo (4 years old) are the latest in a long line of Shire horses which, apart from a brief interruption during the First World War when all horses were sold for war duties, have served Robinsons Brewery for over 100 years.
In their heyday, before the arrival of the internal combustion engine, Robinsons Shires were in the main brewery yard working every day to deliver traditionally brewed ales to local inns and hostelries. However their primary use was inter-brewery work: moving bottles and cases between Unicorn and Hempshaw Brook Breweries in the 1950’s. The Shires also moved cinders from the main yard, spent hops and waste paper.
Today Bobek and Mojo are two of the few remaining working Shires in the British Brewing industry. A familiar and much loved part of Stockport heritage, the sight of the Robinsons Shires evokes happy memories of a bygone time - as well as encouraging new fans of these gentle giants.
Bobek and Mojo do more than make guest appearances at Robinsons Trade Shows, promotional events, anniversaries, pub openings and notable celebrations. They can also be found at a range of shows, carnivals and country fairs throughout the year – winning many prizes for their immaculate turnout, grooming and show discipline.
6 Facts about our Shires:
- Bobek and Mojo have their breakfast at 6.30am and their supper at 8.30pm each day. Each Shire can eat for up to 18 hours a day
- The Shires see the dentist every 6 months to check on the health of their 42 teeth!
- Hopnik's favourite treat is a swede root.
- Wizard’s favourite treats are parsnips and carrots.
- Bobek's favourite treat is polos... he can devour a whole packet in seconds!
- The Shires average speed in walk is 4 miles per hour.
For the latest training news, events and amazing facts - and to keep up to date with their whereabouts - follow Hopnik, Wizard and Bobek on Facebook at Robinsons Shire Horses