VENISON STEAK ON SPAETZLE WITH CHERRIES IN CHOCOLATE TOM
BY MR BERNHARD LANZ Chef at the ROYAL SHIP
- 1 Bottle of Chocolate Tom
- 4 Venison Steaks (7 – 8oz)
- 200g Dark Pitted Cherries (drained)
- 2 Shallots finely chopped
- 2 Tsp Flour
- 4 Tsp Granulated Sugar Salt, Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 200g Plain Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1⁄2 Pint Cold Water
- 2 Tbsp Parsley finely chopped
- 25g Butter
- Season the Steaks with Salt and Pepper and marinate in Olive Oil whilst preparing the Spaetzle.
- Soften the Shallots with half of the sugar, add 2 Tsp of Flour and set aside.
STEP 2 Spaetzle
- To make the Spaetzle beat the Eggs and add to the Flour and Parsley, start combining the ingredients by adding a little Water to make a smooth dough.
- Beat the dough with a wooden spoon until it starts to blister.
- Meanwhile boil a pan with hot water and Salt. Use a Spaetzle grater or a wooden board and a knife to shape the noodles.
- The Spaetzle are cooked as soon they start to float. Cool in cold water and set aside.
STEP 3 Steak
- For the Steaks heat a frying pan and fry the Steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides. Put the Steaks on a plate and cover with Foil whilst finishing the dish.
- Add the Chocolate Tom to the frying pan, bring to boil and add the Cherries, 2 Tsp of Sugar, Salt and Pepper and reduce for 2 minutes.
- At the same time melt the Butter in a frying pan and reheat the Spaetzle.
- Now add the Shallots to the Beer and bring to the boil.
- Put the Spaetzle on the plate, cut the Steaks in four tranches and arrange on the Noodles, spoon the Cherries in Chocolate Tom next to it and garnish with Parsley.